May Recap

How was May for you? It's been a bit crazy here in Northern California. The weather has gone from mild, to 90 degree days, down to rainy and in the 50's, back to 106 deg by the end of this week. 106.



May was a successful month for me book-wise! I finished 13! Reviews of some are still to come, including Fangirl and The Invisible Library, but overall I'm happy with my numbers. This brings me to 56 books read for the year, well on my way to my initial goal of 100 for the year (and my secret ultimate goal of 120).


I’m as excited about reaching my ultimate goal as a shark that thinks fish are friends, not food ;)
  1. Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine  5/5 🌟
  2. Ruins by Dan Wells*  4/5 🌟
  3. Rosie by Anne Lamott  2/5 🌟
  4. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling* 2/5 🌟
  5. The Storied Life of A.J. Fickry by Gabrielle Zevin  5/5 🌟
  6. Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith*  4/4 🌟
  7. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell*  4/4 🌟
  8. Ignite the Shadows by Ingrid Seymour 3.5 🌟
  9. Lady  Midnight by Cassandra Clare  4/4 🌟
  10. A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray* 3/5 🌟
  11. Starflight by Melissa Landers  4/4 🌟
  12. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews* 5/5 🌟
  13. The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman  5/5 🌟
* - Audiobook for my 2016 Audiuobook Challenge 

I know already shared my review, but I *loved* Ink and Bone. If you haven't read it yet, I couldn't recommend it more. You really should stop what you're doing, well after finishing reading this post of course, and go read it. 

The Storied Life of A.J. Fickry really touched me and I can definitely see myself rereading it in the future. 

Lady Midnight... this one is tough. I know so, so many people loved it, and it was very, very good, but I couldn't with the end. I won't spoil it for anyone, but come on! 


I had a pretty awesome May haul! Just look at that gorgeous stack. 


I didn’t mean to buy so many books, but my library had its monthly warehouse sale and I found some pretty amazing deals like a basically brand new, hardback copy of Aramada for $3! Then I couldn’t help myself and had to buy The Crowns Game and so many more and I ended up with this beautiful pile you see here. My Life’s Library is growing so quickly. Although I’m going to have to tone it down for June. Way down.






I spent so much time reading, I didn't make much progress this month in the world of cross stitch. You win some you lose some right? I did manage to get a bit more done on Link though.


I finally caught up with Outlander and Orphan Black! I also started watching season 11 of Supernatural. I wasn't going to because the show had gotten just so overly dramatic in recent years to the point where I couldn't stop rolling my eyes every time Sam opened his mouth, but I saw an article that mentioned this was the show's best season in 6 years (honestly season 5 was the last time I thought the show was really good too - don't hate me, please), so I figured I'd give it a go. And you know what, they were right. It's gotten back to its older, funnier, darker side of things and I'm really enjoying it.


I also went to my first baseball game(s) at AT&T Park in San Francisco to see the Chicago Cubs face off against the Giants. The Cubs lost both games but I had a great time! It wasn’t my first baseball game ever, I grew up an A’s fan, but it was my first time at AT&T Park. My husband is a diehard fan of Chicago (Bears, Cubs, Blackhawks), and I’m not a Giants fan, so in this series I was a Cubs fan.




Even though it was $7, this Ghirardelli hot chocolate was hands down the best hot chocolate I've ever had in my life.


A friend and I have been going to a local, weekly trivia night for the last few months. With just the two of us on a team, we managed to win second place overall for the month of May, so that was awesome.

I introduced my husband to the Hamilton soundtrack and now that's all he listens to and I'm not sorry. It’s so good. It’s supposed to be coming to San Francisco in early 2017 and we’re hoping to go, but the prices are pretty steep and unless you buy season passes it’s going to be tough to get in. We’re still going to try!

Did you have an exciting May? What books did you get? Did we read any of the same things? Do you have any recommendations for me for June? I’m hesitant to create TBRs because I never stick to them, but I’m always open to recommendations! I’d love to hear from you.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top