Monthly Recap



August 2016 was full of weddings, family, baseball games, books, and heat. Dear lord it was hot.



I managed to up my reading game to 8 books this month. Next month, 10? Who knows?!


Illuminae by Amie Kaufman*  5/5 🌟
Afterward by Jennifer Mathieu 5/5 🌟
The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman ?/5 🌟
The Last Star by Rick Yancey* ?/5 🌟

I don’t want to get into The Cursed Child too much here because I want to avoid spoilers for those who haven’t read it yet, and I wrote a long rant post about it you can read here, but let’s just say the nostalgia of being back in the HP universe only carried this one so far.

Me Before You was my book club read for August and I found it a bit eh. I was so looking forward to reading it and it just didn't live up to the hype for me.

If I had to pick one book off the list to recommend, I’d say you should read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. It was nothing like I expected and everything I needed it to be. It was beautifully written, perfectly narrated by Lin-Manuel Miranda, and heart wrenchingly honest.


I managed to happen upon my local library’s Friends of the Library book sale one Saturday when accidentally getting there too early to pick up my book. I lucked out and found copies of Ready Player One, Anne of Green Gables, and The Magicians. I’m still eyeing this hardcover box set of The Magicians but I couldn’t pass up a used copy of book one! I’ve also been hunting for a decent, unmarked used copy of Ready Player One for ages, so score! I adore Anne of Green Gables so I had to have this lovely hardcover copy. It’s from 1992, and I don’t know if it’s supposed to have a dust jacket, but I couldn’t wait to add it to my collection.

I made progress on both my Hogwarts crest this month and my Steotchalong. So technically I should be finished with my Steotchalong, but by making time for my crest, I’ve fallen behind, but I’m okay with that. Progress is progress! I wish I had two sets of arms, hands, eyes, and two brains and heads so I could read and cross stitch at the same time!
Sometimes I listen to an audiobook while I stitch, but it’s much easier to listen to an old tv show in the background then to risk zoning out on a good book or flubbing a pattern and having to frog a lot of hard work.



My brother-in-law got married at the beginning of the month, so much of our time was spent celebrating nuptials and new family ties. My husband was the best man, doesn’t he look smashing :) It was a hometown wedding fit for the cover of Country Living, and it was gorgeous.


This has been the summer of baseball. Managed to squeeze in two more games this month! This time watching my home team, the Oakland A’s square off against the Chicago Cubs, then the Sacramento Rivercats vs. the Iowa Cubbies.


I’ve been trying to enjoy the summer while it lasts. I can’t believe it’s September and almost fall! Pumpkin spice yuck is about is invade everything and it will be time to pack up my shorts and sandals for another year. Not that I the fall doesn’t have it’s bonuses, but I’m just not ready yet.
How was your August? Ready anything good? Do anything exciting? Have any life changing news or book recommendations for me?

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top