Books & How Much I Love Them

Today's post is not about one book in particular, but about books in general. About how much I love books. Physical books, audiobooks, e-books, I love them all!



You'd think that a bookish person such as myself would have bookish friends. Wrong. I have few close friendships, and of those few are readers and they are light readers at that. None are at the crazy, book obsessed levels which I have reached these last several years and I'm okay with that. The older you get the harder it is to make friends and I've accepted that I'm quirky and a total book nerd and I can connect with other bookish people online that will freak out about The Fate of the Tearling or Morning Star with me.

I have serious bookshelf envy of everyone with those tall white (or any color really) bookshelves full of hardcover matching sets and funko pop figurines and twinkly lights. Someday I will have my own little reading nook where I can sit with a cup of coffee, a comfy blanket, a beautiful bookshelf behind me, and read or work on my cross stitch #lifegoals


I read a lot. A lot a lot. I know to some it might not be too much but last year I read 115 books and the year before I read 85. When I tell people how much I've read they'll make comments like, "Wow, you must have a lot of free time! I'm just too busy to read." No. 


I make time. I squeeze in reading during any spare time I can - during my lunch breaks, while cooking, I read when most people watch tv and listen to audiobooks instead of the radio during my commute or when cleaning, working out, and on my runs. There's always a book of some kind in my purse and an audiobook on my phone. I've also had several people tell me I read too much. Please - books are awesome! When this happens I just look at them like, "Do you even know me? You need to rethink your life choices," and just move on. I'm not trying to say I'm better than anyone, but I'm not making excuses either.

Books or bookish things are usually one of the first things to catch my eye somewhere, especially something Harry Potter related. Just ask my Husband. When we went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter one of the first things I said was, " I WANT EVERYTHING." and he made fun of me for a good while. I still want everything by the way, that place is amazing.


I feel really smug when I figure out a plot line early on - like I figured out who Celaena was in Throne of Glass and I was so proud of myself but then I had no one to brag to about it. There are times I also feel really betrayed by certain characters, like Amy Dunne in Gone Girl because I did not see that twist coming. 


I can get really attached to fictional characters. Some quotes will stick with me and pop into my head for months/years after reading them. Ex: 'muscles have memory too' from The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey - that one has really stuck with me. I get really invested in stories and when it comes to series I hate waiting for a new installment to come out. Sometimes when a new series comes out I'll wait for 2 parts to be released just so I don't have to wait. Or like Queen of Shadows, I'll get 3/4 of the way through and set it aside because I'm afraid to finish it knowing I'll have to wait 6 months for book 5 and possibly another year+ for book 6. 

Does anyone else feel so strongly about books and their characters? I can't be the only one right? Please tell me I'm not alone. 


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top