My Best Friend’s Exorcism by Grady Hendrix

*I received a galley of this book from the publisher, but this review and opinions are entirely my own

Your best friend is possessed and no one believes you, what do you do?

Early thoughts: Wow, just wow. Major creep factor? Check. Awesome 80's references? Check. Gave me nightmares? Check - just once, but still. My Best Friend's Exorcism really sucked me in and I continually found myself wanting to pick it back up every time I had to put it down to find out what happened to Abby and Gretchen.




Abby and Gretchen have been best friends since fifth grade, when they bonded over a shared love of E.T., roller-skating parties, and scratch-and-sniff stickers. But when they arrive at high school, things change. Gretchen begins to act…different. And as the strange coincidences and bizarre behavior start to pile up, Abby realizes there’s only one possible explanation: Gretchen, her favorite person in the world, has a demon living inside her. And Abby is not about to let anyone or anything come between her and her best friend. With help from some unlikely allies, Abby embarks on a quest to save Gretchen. But is their friendship powerful enough to beat the devil?








I really liked the way Hendrix set up this story. It focuses on Abby and how she deals with the fact that her best friend, Gretchen, changes before her eyes, becomes a completely different person, turns on her, and yet she doesn’t give up on her or their friendship. She knows something’s wrong, knows Gretchen wouldn’t act this way, and looks for help in all the places you’re told to when you’re 16: parents, teachers, the principal. What does she get for it? Blame, threats, and slander. Abby is put through the ringer trying to help Gretchen, yet she doesn’t give up. Abby and Gretchen have that unbreakable bond that seems to only form between the young, that can seemingly withstand life and everything it throws at them, but Gretchen being possessed really pushes it to the limits.

The possession itself plays second fiddle to Abby and her part in helping Gretchen overcome. It wasn’t the main focus of the story, which I liked. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still major, and messed up, and creepy as hell, but it’s more subdued seeing it through Abby’s eyes. I appreciated this, to me it helped make the story seem more believable in a way. Not to mention all of the 80’s references! The music, trapper keepers, scrunchies, big hair-sprayed hair, E.T, the works. Hendrix did a great job immersing the reader. I really felt the injustice of Abby's treatment and I wanted to slap someone on her behalf.



If you’re enjoy cult classics, the 80’s, suspense, the supernatural, or just a great story, you should add this to your TBR list. You can pick up your own copy on May 17!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top