Review: Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas


The long path to the throne has only just begun for Aelin Galathynius. Loyalties have been broken and bought, friends have been lost and gained, and those who possess magic find themselves at odds with those who don't.

As the kingdoms of Erilea fracture around her, enemies must become allies if Aelin is to keep those she loves from falling to the dark forces poised to claim her world. With war looming on all horizons, the only chance for salvation lies in a desperate quest that may mark the end of everything Aelin holds dear.

Aelin's journey from assassin to queen has entranced millions across the globe, and this fifth installment will leave fans breathless. Will Aelin succeed in keeping her world from splintering, or will it all come crashing down?

I want to preface this review with the fact that I was absolutely crushed by Empire of Storms. It was everything I wanted, and so much more, and it broke my heart! How does Sarah J. Maas do it? Actually, HOW COULD YOU??

This was a book of FINALLY!!’s and WHAT?!’s and why?!?!’s. The gang is all back, save for Choal who is off on Dorian’s errand from Queen of Shadows. Hopefully we’ll see him in the next installment.

I was so happy to see Aelin and Rowan together again doing what they do best – kicking ass and taking names. Aelin is a total BAMF and I’m not afraid to say that I want to be her when I grow up. She’s brilliant, always ten steps ahead of everyone else in the game, and not afraid to make sacrifices when necessary. Aelin and Rowan. Together. It made my heart ache. Aelin finally happy; them finally side by side. How can any couple be so perfect for each other?

We learn so much more about Elide and her character. She’s such a strong person and I love the way she doesn’t take Lochran’s crap. She's fierce, and loyal, and finally gets the appreciation she deserves. Lochran is back, terrorizing people and being loyal to his queen, yet we do get to see a different side of him. Oh, and I can't forget Manon, Aedon, or Dorian! Manon is quickly becoming another favorite. So much happens with the Wing Leader and her coven. I can't even begin to express how much happens in this book!

I am a huge fan of Maas’s writing and her characters. She writes strong, thoughtful women who aren’t afraid to stand up for themselves or their beliefs. Women who can think for themselves, as well as men who respect women. Men who aren’t afraid to stand by these women, and raise them up. This is an amazing thing and I love that it’s available for young adults to see and read.

I couldn't give this anything less than five stars. Did you know it's printed in extremely thin paper to accommodate the 800+ pages so it wouldn't be massive? I read it in two days. I couldn't put it down!! I’m already dying for the next book, but I guess I’ll have to satisfy myself with a re-read of the series until then because I’m not ready to say goodbye to these characters yet! I'm not even sure I've written a coherent review here as I can't express all of my feelings for this book. Despite spending the last 40-50 pages crying my eyes out, I still want more. I needs it... All I can say is read it for yourself and I hope you love it as much I as did!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top